Peckover House and Peterborough Cathedral
Thu 15 Sep @ 8:30 am - 5:45 pm
Now fully booked. If you would like to go on the waiting list please email Pat.
Peckover House is a secret gem, an oasis hidden away in an urban environment. A classic Georgian merchant’s town house, it was lived in by the Peckover banking family for 150 years. The Peckovers were staunch Quakers which meant they had a very simple lifestyle – yet at the same time they ran a successful private bank. Both facets of their life can be seen as you wander through the house and gardens.
Peterborough Abbey, which became a Cathedral in 1541, has been the centre of national and international events for over 900 years. It has been an influential medieval monastery and a royal burial place, survived major damage during the Civil War and enjoyed a period of restoration and rediscovery of its Anglo-Saxon origins in the 19th Century. The Highlights Tour will introduce you to these stories and more as you explore the building with a knowledgeable guide.
For this outing we are visiting two very different locations.
- We will start at Peckover House where we will arrive around 10.30 am in time to explore the gardens and have refreshments in one of the cafes close by in Wisbech.
- Once the morning public tour is over the guide will give us a short introductory talk and then our whole group will be allowed in together to explore the house for 45 minutes before the next public tour starts.
- We will then board the coach for Peterborough where we will be dropped off by 2 pm latest near the Cathedral to explore the Precinct or take further refreshments.
- At 3 pm we will meet at the Cathedral for their Highlights Tour lasting approximately 1 hr.Departure from Bury: 8.30 am from Ram Meadow Car Park
- Arrival at Peckover 10.30 am approx
- Entry to House: 12 noon
- Departure from Peckover: by 1pm
- Arrival at Peterborough: by 2pm
- Cathedral Tour: 3pm
- Depart Peterborough 4.15pm
- Arrival back at Bury: 5.45 pm latest
National Trust Members £26 per person
Non National Trust £36 per person
Booking is now open – please send your application direct to Pat (details on booking form)
There are two different prices for this outing one for National Trust members and one for non national trust members. Please ensure you complete the correct part of the booking form and make the right payment.
There are only 30 places available, confirmed on receipt of payment. u3a MEMBERS ONLY.